Wednesday, April 9, 2008

ifc: My Lord, they go one way, and I go the other way

Say: O ye that reject Faith! I worship not that which ye worship, nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship, nor will ye worship that which I worship. To you be your way, and to me mine. – [109:al-kaafiroon,the disbelievers:1-6]

Some of the leading disbelievers of Makka had proposed to the Holy Prophet a compromise between Islam and their ancient faith such as they conceived it, so that their idols might also have an honourable mention in the adoration of the worshippers. The Holy Prophet resisted all appeals to worldly motives, and stood firm to his message of eternal unity of Allah. This surah breathes a spirit of uncompromising abhorrence to idolatry. There can be no common ground between the worship of the One and the many - monotheism and polytheism.

My Lord, they go one way, and I go the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment