Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ahmad Said: I'm in charge; I MAY NOT LAST LONG

Ahmad Said: I'm in charge

Ahmad Said assumes MB's role (3rd update)
KUALA TERENGGANU: Kijal assemblyman Datuk Ahmad Said began his first day of work as Terengganu Mentri Besar at the MB's office in Wisma Darul Iman here at 8am on Tuesday. His supporters had gathered outside and there was a heavy police presence, but no untoward incidents were reported. In one of his first statements as MB, he said he intended to continue the good work of his predecessor Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh. "It would have been difficult not to accept the position of Terengganu Mentri Besar as I had been selected by the palace," he said after assuming the office Tuesday. He was also hopeful that the 22 assemblymen who had protested his appointment would "cool down soon" to pave the way for him to appoint his executive councillors.

In KUALA LUMPUR, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said he would seek an audience with the Yang DiPertuan Agong, who is also the Sultan of Terengganu. "The matter needs to be resolved as soon as possible," he said. As for any disciplinary action to be taken against Ahmad for going against the party leadership in accepting the post, Abdullah said he would leave it to the Umno Supreme Council. The Supreme Council is expected to meet on Thursday. -- MORE

Related Stories:


KEMAMAN: Admitting that he may not last long, newly appointed Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Said is set to take office today with the promise to carry out his duties responsibly. He also denied suggestions that he went against the Umno leadership in accepting his appointment by the Regency Advisory Council.He said claims that he could be sacked from the party were debatable. "It is not so easy to sack someone from the party," Ahmad said at his family home in Telok Kalong, Kijal, yesterday.

The Umno supreme council is expected to meet on Thursday to discuss his status. He was warned in a letter by 22 state assemblymen on Sunday that he could face stern action if he were to accept his appointment.

Ahmad received his letter of appointment from the council on Sunday, a decision which went against the majority of state assemblymen and the Barisan Nasional leadership which wanted state liaison committee chairman Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh to be reappointed to the post. "I have never rebelled against Umno. I have been serving the party since my father's time. "There should not be any question about me being a traitor. I also know the regulations of the party and have never back-stabbed anyone to be appointed to this post."

Ahmad said the Umno leadership should rethink its stand regarding his appointment as menteri besar. "I hope the prime minister and his deputy will re-examine the issue. We don't want these upheavals."

Attributing his appointment to fate, Ahmad insisted that his decision to take up the post was backed by the majority of Umno members in Terengganu. "As far as I am concerned, the majority support my appointment." He said he would proceed with his duties and deal with any issues regarding his appointment "one at a time". "It is my responsibility now to manage the affairs of the state and I will be in my office tomorrow to report for duty as the new Menteri Besar of Terengganu." Full Story

TERENGGANU MB CRISIS: Ahmad declares no need for swearing-in as MB after 'starting work' today Datuk Ahmad Said made good his word that he would take up his letter of appointment as the new Terengganu Menteri Besar and report for duty this morning at the MB’s office in Wisma Darul Iman, witnessed by hundreds of state government employees and a media horde. But his scheduled swearing-in tomorrow appears to be non-existent after he declared that the Mentri Besar need not be sworn-in. Full Story

TERENGGANU MB CRISIS: Rais: Sworn in or not, it’s a dead end It’s a dead end for Kijal assemblyman Datuk Ahmad Said either way, whether he is sworn in as Terengganu Menteri Besar or not. So reasoned Umno supreme council member Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim, as Ahmad would not get the support of the state executive council if he tried to convene one. Full Story

Politician under investigation: PUTRAJAYA: A senior Terengganu politician is being investigated for abuse of power. He had previously been linked to another case of abusing his position as a state executive councillor over the construction of a building project in Chukai, Terengganu. However, it was learnt that there was not enough evidence to link the politician to the case until recently. Sources said this explained why the state assemblyman was allowed to contest the elections although Barisan Nasional had made it clear that those with cases pending with the Anti-Corruption Agency would be barred from contesting. It is understood the new case came to light after a report was lodged shortly after the March 8 general election.

TERENGGANU MB CRISIS: PM to meet King to resolve impasse Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi will meet Sultan of Terengganu Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin concerning the appointment of the Terengganu menteri besar. Abdullah said he would meet Tuanku Mizan as soon as possible. Full Story

TERENGGANU MB CRISIS: Idris willing to forego MB's post, prepared to seek Sultan's forgiveness Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh is willing to accept any decision of the Umno leadership deemed best for the people, including forgoing the Mentri Besar’s post. He made the declaration at a highly-charged Press conference this afternoon at the Saujana Golf and Country Club here. Idris said he was also be prepared to apologise to Sultan of Terengganu Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin if “I had done anything wrong.”More on Idris’ Press conference in a moment… Full Story

No comments:

Post a Comment